What does café insurance offer?
Cafés and tea rooms are extremely important in your local community. They provide the ideal place for people to meet, relax, and spend the afternoon with friends and loved ones. This makes your café worth protecting. Tea room and café insurance protects your business from a number of risks, from customer or employee injury to safeguarding your café’s building premises.
An alternative to café & tea room insurance
The Retail Mutual is a unique provider of business cover – an alternative to business insurance for the independent retail community on the UK’s high streets, including café owners. We’re passionate about supporting Britain’s small and independent brick-and-mortar stores that continually face new challenges in the retail industry.
Whether you run a tea room, a café or a coffee shop, you will require a protection plan in place to ease the financial strain if a claim is made. During trading hours, customers and employees are always at risk of injury, be it a slip on a wet floor or a burn as a result of cooking equipment.
Being a physical presence in your local high street can also have risks attached. Damage resulting from violent crime, cooking fires, or perhaps naturally occurring events like flooding can be devastating for your café or tea room. At The Retail Mutual, we recognise your need for peace of mind, so we have created a tailored protection plan. This plan gives retailers and service providers the cover they need for their individual businesses.Get a Quote
What type of café or tea room cover do you need?
Below is a list of some of our business cover options available for cafés and tea rooms. To find out more about the types of cover we offer, speak to a member of our team.
- Business interruption cover – After a covered event, you need time to get back on your feet. Making repairs and reopening your café can take time after an incident. Business interruption cover may help to pay overhead costs, interim payments and even staff wages. The Retail Mutual offers cover up to £500,000 as standard with higher limits available on request.
- Employers’ liability cover – If you have employees or even volunteers working in your café, who are not close family members, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. This type of cover protects you should an employee bring a claim, but also protects your employees. Our employers’ liability cover can offer you up to £10 million in financial protection should an employee make a claim against you and is backed by insurance to meet your legal obligations.
- Public liability cover – Public liability cover includes injury or damage to your customers or their property whilst in your tea room. Even if you’re not at fault, legal expenses can mount up fast. We may pay up to £5 million if a claim is made against you.
- Buildings cover – Without your tea room premises, you cannot operate. Buildings cover includes repairs resulting from damage due to events like flood, theft or fire. You may purchase additional cover to include your shop’s fixtures and fittings if you prefer. We offer cover up to £5 million.
- Stock and contents cover – Includes your cooking equipment, furniture and other café contents. Our alternative to café insurance includes stock and contents cover that may help you if you suffer loss from events such as flood, theft or fire.
Benefits for cafés & tea rooms
- We don’t charge admin or cancellation fees
- We offer flexible cover to suit the needs of individual businesses
- Our payment plans are interest-free
- We operate a UK-based call centre to provide simple and efficient service
- We offer accidental damage and fixed glass cover as standard with our buildings cover
What makes us different?
As a mutual, we recognise that small, local businesses are at the heart of every community, and we’re committed to supporting you. Run by retailers for retailers, our mutual helps you protect what matters most. Since we began in 1999, we’ve provided cover to a variety of specialist industries, including an alternative to café and tea room insurance. As a result, we’ve created long-standing relationships with small high street retailers and service providers across the UK, and understand the challenges you face in running a business.
Owned by and operated on behalf of our Members, we provide a fast-and-efficient claims process so that making a claim is as easy as possible.
With our Board of Directors having first-hand experience in running local businesses themselves, we know the importance of having a supportive cover provider.
What else do we offer?
The Retail Mutual supports a variety of industry sectors, offering business cover as an alternative to tea room insurance, bookshop insurance, bakery insurance, barber insurance and more. View our business cover page for more information on the type of stores and service providers we help.
Looking for something else? Our alternative to café insurance is just one of the types of cover that we provide. We also offer home Home cover and an alternative to landlord insurance along with access to additional products and services such as mortgages, health cover and term life cover from carefully selected providers.
Click the button below to start your quote or call us on 0333 2121 280.Get a Quote
What our Members Say
When I arranged my Business Cover with The Retail Mutual, the team were fantastic with a friendly, informative and professional service. Thank you especially to Laz and Gary for your assistance, I couldn’t have asked for more.Laura Fisher, Basingstoke
Many thanks to the team who dealt with my claim so quickly and efficiently, it was greatly appreciated.Mr McHugh, Hungerford
We would definitely recommend the Mutual. We were given loss of earnings on three occasions when we asked, which kept the business solvent. Being closed for six weeks over the Christmas period, which is our peak trading time, could have been a financial disaster but the interim payments were a godsendMr Baillie, Perth