We offer an alternative to insurance for cake shops. Just fill in your details below and we’ll contact you for a quote.
What does cake shop insurance offer?
As a professional cake baker, your job is to provide the perfect cakes for every occasion. Personal touches and custom cakes make your customer experiences extra special. However, things don’t always go according to plan. An allergic reaction, food poisoning, or even a fall in your cake shop can result in a claim being made against you, while any sort of damage to your cake shop premises can cause long-term damage your business. That’s why many cake shop owners choose to take out cake maker insurance to protect their business.
An alternative to cake maker insurance
The Retail Mutual is a provider of business cover, specialising in the retail industry. We offer an alternative to cake maker insurance for your cake shop or bakery, as well as other brick and mortar stores across the UK. As a mutual we are run by our Members, which is why we aim to take a supportive approach and offer a compelling alternative to traditional cake shop insurance. We will listen to your needs, find out about your business and present a number of tailored cover options for you to choose from.
You may be a local community cake shop, a startup cake-making store or a small bakery, but regardless of how you run your business, it’s likely you will require some kind of cake shop insurance. What if a customer becomes ill as a result of your cakes or other produce, or an employee suffers an injury or a burn? These circumstances can lead to legal consequences and a hefty financial penalty, which is where The Retail Mutual can help with public and products liability cover.
Running a cake shop and having a physical presence in your local area also comes with its own risks. If you’re a victim of theft or criminal damage it can be difficult to find the funds to make repairs, while natural incidents such as fires and flooding can also have drastic negative impacts on your business. All these events can be difficult to recover from if you do not have cake shop insurance or a similar protection plan in place.
What type of cake shop cover do you need?
Below is a list of some of the options we offer as part of our alternative to cake maker insurance:
- Public liability cover – Public liability cover is an important aspect of running your cake shop. If a customer becomes ill from your cakes or has a fall in your shop, Public Liability Cover may cover you for the cost of compensation if a customer brings a claim. The Retail Mutual offers up to £5 million in the event that a claim is made against you.
- Employers’ liability cover – If you have employees assisting you in the everyday running of your business, it is likely you’ll be required by law to have Employers’ Liability Cover. We offer cover for work-related incidents up to the value of £10 million, backed by an insurance policy to meet your legal obligations.
- Stock and contents cover – From your ovens and cake-making equipment to counters and soft furnishings, your stock and contents are essential to the running of your business. Stock and contents cover may compensate you should your shop fittings, machinery or ingredients be lost, stolen or damaged.
- Business interruption cover – If an event such as a flood, theft or fire devastates your cake shop, it can be difficult to make up for lost revenue whilst making repairs. Business interruption cover helps you pay overheads, interim payments and even staff wages until your business reopens. The Retail Mutual offers cover up to £500k as standard, with higher limits available upon request.
- Buildings cover – If you own your cake shop premises, you may consider taking out buildings cover. If your property does become damaged, it can be very costly to make repairs. Buildings cover helps you make repairs to your ceilings, walls, windows, roofs and more. You can even purchase additional cover for display units and other shop fittings and fixtures if you wish – see more about our stock and contents cover above. We offer buildings cover up to £5 million.
Benefits for cake shops
- We don’t charge admin or cancellation fees
- We provide flexible cover to suit the needs of individual businesses
- Our payment plans are interest-free
- We operate a UK-based call centre to provide simple and efficient service
- We offer accidental damage and fixed glass cover as standard
What makes us different?
Local businesses lie at the heart of everything we do. Since we started in 1999, we’ve been focused on helping independent retailers reach their business goals by aiming to give them the peace of mind to continue trading worry free. Our alternative to business insurance for cake shops allows you to pick and choose your desired cover options to suit your individual business needs.
We set out to create strong, long-term relationships. We can run through your options, so you can choose the cover that’s best for your cake shop, while our experienced claims handlers will be here to support you in the unfortunate event that you need to make a claim.
What else do we offer?
The Retail Mutual offers more than just cake shop insurance. We offer cover options for many different types of retailers including those looking for gift shop insurance, bookshop insurance, fish and chip shop insurance and more. View our business cover pages to find out more about who we help.
What our Members Say
When I arranged my Business Cover with The Retail Mutual, the team were fantastic with a friendly, informative and professional service. Thank you especially to Laz and Gary for your assistance, I couldn’t have asked for more.Laura Fisher, Basingstoke
Many thanks to the team who dealt with my claim so quickly and efficiently, it was greatly appreciated.Mr McHugh, Hungerford
We would definitely recommend the Mutual. We were given loss of earnings on three occasions when we asked, which kept the business solvent. Being closed for six weeks over the Christmas period, which is our peak trading time, could have been a financial disaster but the interim payments were a godsend.Mr Baillie, Perth