What does insurance for caterers offer?
Running your own catering business can be extremely rewarding but also presents many challenges. From shop maintenance to the gathering of ingredients, food preparation and even food delivery to clients, there are many aspects to your business which could be protected using catering insurance.
Unfortunately, things can go wrong when they’re least expected, whether that be an employee burning themselves, a slip or a trip, or even a customer suffering from food poisoning. Taking out protection for your catering business provides you with the peace of mind to continue operating without worry.
An alternative to catering business insurance
At The Retail Mutual, we specialise in working with independent, brick-and-mortar catering businesses to help safeguard their business. Every business is unique and you want to make sure you have the right cover in place to suit your needs. Our alternative to insurance for catering companies offers flexibility as you grow, so you can operate worry-free and focus on keeping your customers fed and happy.
Health and safety considerations are important to catering businesses but whilst you can have the most stringent procedures in place, accidents can still happen, so it’s important to have catering insurance or an equivalent cover for caterers in place. The Retail Mutual offers catering business cover to help safeguard your business.
What catering business cover do we offer?
- Employers’ liability cover – If you have any members of staff, whether they are full-time, part-time, volunteers or temporary, you are required to have employers’ liability insurance in place. Whilst they’re at work you’re responsible for their safety and may be liable if they suffer an accident. Our employers’ liability cover is backed by an insurance policy to meet your legal obligations and can offer you up to £10 million in financial protection should an employee make a claim against you.
- Stock and contents cover – Blenders, mixers, ovens and plates – such equipment is vital to the effective operation of a catering company. Our stock and contents cover may protect the equipment inside your premises in the event that it is damaged or stolen.
- Business interruption cover – If an incident occurs in your shop, such as a flood or fire, you may need to close in order to replace equipment and make repairs. Business interruption may cover repair costs, staff wages and overheads to tide you over while you get back on your feet. The Retail Mutual offers cover up to £500,000 as standard with higher limits available on request.
- Public liability cover – Your business wouldn’t exist without the public buying your food. Public liability cover may protect you for customer claims for things such as food poisoning, slips or trips in your store, or damage to their property on your premises. The Retail Mutual offers cover up to £5 million.
Benefits for catering businesses
- We don’t charge admin or cancellation fees
- We provide flexible cover to suit the needs of individual businesses
- Our payment plans are interest-free
- We operate a UK-based call centre to provide simple and efficient service
- We offer accidental damage and fixed glass cover as standard with our buildings cover
- We have over 5,300 Members
What Makes us Different?
The Retail Mutual is owned by and operated solely for the benefit of its Members – its customers. For over 20 years, we’ve helped small, independent retailers with flexible business cover. Whether you’re a small catering business or a larger catering company, we have your best interests at heart.
Making a claim can be difficult and the stress you face as a business owner can seem overwhelming. Our experienced claims handlers have a wealth of knowledge to help you navigate the claims process effectively, relieving you of any confusion and/or unnecessary worries.
We are passionate about protecting small businesses on our high streets with our alternative to caterer insurance. We offer continuous support and clearly present all options available for you to make well-informed decisions that suit your catering company.
Let us support you by joining our Member community with our alternative to catering insurance.
What else do we offer?
Do you run another type of independent retail or service business? We don’t just offer an alternative to catering business insurance, we also offer:
As well business cover, we can also support you with:
Looking for something else? You can also access specially selected private health cover, mortgages and life and critical illness insurance via our commercial partners.
Interested in our alternative to catering business insurance? Click here to start your quote or speak to one of our dedicated team on 0333 2121 280
What our Members say
When I arranged my Business Cover with The Retail Mutual, the team were fantastic with a friendly, informative and professional service. Thank you especially to Laz and Gary for your assistance, I couldn’t have asked for more.Laura Fisher, Basingstoke
The Retail Mutual is a brilliant company and I was very impressed with the level of service I have received. The renewal process and professional attention was perfect.Mr Chandler, Portree
We experienced excellent customer service from The Retail Mutual's team. Our claim was handled very professionally. Excellent service and excellent advice.Mr Sheppard, Swindon