We offer an alternative to insurance for shop owners. Just fill in your details below and we’ll contact you for a quote.
Looking For Shop Insurance?
What does shop insurance offer?
Depending on what you sell, each shop will be exposed to a number of different risks. Whether you’re buying and selling, providing a service, or making a product from scratch, it is important you have the right type of shop cover for your business. As a business owner, you find yourself doing lots of different tasks, but it’s important that you take the time to minimise the risk to your business by taking out the right insurance for shops or a suitable alternative protection plan for your business.
An alternative to insurance for shops
Here at The Retail Mutual, we understand the challenges and pitfalls of running your own business; having worked with growing retailers for 20 years. We provide business cover, similar to shop insurance, that offers you flexibility and the ability to tailor your protection plan to your individual company. If you’re a small to medium-sized business, a start-up or a growing chain of shops, The Retail Mutual could be the perfect partner to help you safeguard your business.
The workplace is full of hazards and it is important that you, as a boss, are aware of these. A slippery floor, a falling object, or a laceration whilst handling equipment are just some of the ways staff and volunteers could be injured at work. As a result, they may choose to bring a claim against you that could lead to your business paying a large compensation payment. This could not only place a financial strain on your business but might also close your shop completely. Therefore, it is important that you take out shop insurance or an effective alternative for your shop or retail business.
Regardless of whether you’re a hair salon, cake shop, gift shop or opticians, it’s important that you find the right type of cover to protect not only yourself but your customers and employees too. Some hazards, such as a flood or fire, may be completely unexpected, and leave you confused about what to do next. At The Retail Mutual, we can present our alternative to shop insurance and guide you through our simple claims process should you need to make a claim.
What type of shop cover do you need?
As shops come in many different shapes and sizes, we’ve made sure our cover options do too. Take a look at some of our shop cover options below:
- Public liability cover – If you’re a boss with any type of employee (part-time or full-time) or even volunteers, it is likely that Employers’ Liability Cover will be a legal requirement. We offer cover up to £10 million, backed by an insurance policy to meet your legal obligations.
- Stock and contents cover – If you’re a gift shop or newsagents, for example, your stock will be extremely important to you. Therefore, it is important you have some type of cover in place to protect it. If your shop is broken into and your stock is taken, our stock and convents cover may compensate you for loss and damage to your inventory.
- Business interruption cover – If your business experiences a disaster such as a flood or extensive criminal damage, you may need to close for a period of time to make repairs. Business interruption cover could help you cover overheads, wages and other payments whilst your claim is being settled. The Retail Mutual offers cover up to £500k as standard with higher limits available on request.
- Public liability cover – Public liability cover aims to protect your customers and their property should they become ill or suffer an injury in your shop. If they make a claim against you, you may be forced to pay. The Retail Mutual offers cover up to £5 million.
Benefits for shops
- We don’t charge admin or cancellation fees.
- We provide flexible cover to suit the needs of individual businesses.
- Our payment plans are interest-free.
- We operate a UK-based call centre to provide simple and efficient service.
- We offer accidental damage and fixed glass cover as standard with our buildings cover
What makes us different?
Our team is committed to the success of you and your business, and as we’re run solely on behalf of our Members, your success is our priority. Our team prides itself on the relationships we form with businesses nationwide, and we’re proud to be a small part of their success. We exist for the sole purpose of helping independent retailers in their time of need, and we’re here to help you.
Here at The Retail Mutual, our claims team recognise that when you contact us, it means things may not have gone to plan. The stress of bringing or challenging a claim can be overwhelming, but we’re here to be supportive and inform you of all the options available. Our alternative to insurance for shops can help support your local community store.
What else do we offer?
Our shop cover, similar to shop insurance, covers all manner of independent retailers. If you’re looking for something different, like alternatives to dry cleaner insurance, takeaway insurance or fish and chip shop insurance, The Retail Mutual may be able to assist you. To view our full range of alternatives to business insurance, browse our offerings above, to speak to an agent call 0333 2121 280 or simply click here to get a quote.
As well as supporting our local businesses, we also offer landlord cover, home cover and life protection plans, for you and your family. If you’re interested in becoming a Member, fill in our contact form or call us on 0333 2121 280 to discuss our alternative to shop insurance today.
What our Members say
When I arranged my Business Cover with The Retail Mutual, the team were fantastic with a friendly, informative and professional service. Thank you especially to Laz and Gary for your assistance, I couldn’t have asked for more.Laura Fisher, Basingstoke
During the most stressful time of having been evacuated and our business shut, the Retail Mutual provided the most excellent service. Our claim was handled promptly and professionally, and with great communication. I have no hesitation in recommending the Retail Mutual.Mrs Warrington, Shop Owner
Thanks for the advice and assistance the claims team gave during my recent break in and for dealing with my claim swiftly.Mr Latif, Midlothian