preload image
Skip to main content

Operating a bakery has much in common with the operation of other businesses whilst at the same time carrying certain risks that are more specific to this type of trade. So what kind of insurances should you consider to ensure your bakery business is covered?

Employers’ liability cover

If you have any full or part-time employees, or you use temporary staff, casual workers or contractors, you are required by law to have employers’ liability cover. This covers you in the event of a claim from anyone who becomes ill or is injured as a result of working for you, be it in commercial premises or if you are operating your bakery from home

While Employers’ liability is the only legal requirement when it comes to insuring your business, it is important to consider the inherent risks of operating a bakery, and take reasonable steps to protect yourself, your customers, your employees and the general public.

Be prepared for the risks

As the Great Fire of 1666 famously proved, one of the key risks for bakers is fire so it is always wise to ensure that you have suitable levels of cover. Your insurer will want to be satisfied that you are baking in a safe environment and, as flour is highly combustible, that it is stored appropriately. For guidelines around the storage of flour and other raw ingredients you can refer to the Health and Safety Executive website at

Any major damage to your premises or baking equipment can have huge repercussions. Business interruption cover can help to keep you and your business afloat in the event that you are unable to trade while the damage is being repaired.

Anything else?

Other useful covers to consider are contents, stock and good in transit, and if you are providing services to the general public such as operating a tea room or high-street bakery store, it is wise to include public and products liability cover in your schedule to protect yourself against claims such as those due to slips and trips or food poisoning on your premises.

If you own your premises, you will need buildings cover to protect it – and if you are operating from home, don’t assume that you will be covered by your home insurance. If you have any doubts as to what is and isn’t covered, always check with your cover provider.

When taking up quotes for your bakery business, always check the details carefully so you can be sure you are comparing like with like. There is a wide range of cover providers to choose from, from traditional insurers to organisations such as The Retail Mutual, a member-owned company which is dedicated to providing an alternative form of cover for the baking community.

To find out more about how The Retail Mutual can help to protect your bakery business, for a free, no-obligation quote, call 0333 2121 280 today or fill out our online quote form. We look forward to hearing from you.

Opening times

Sales0333 2121 280
Service0333 2121 006
8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday – Friday
Closed Weekends and Bank Holidays

Claims0333 2121 008
9.00am to 5.30pm, Monday – Thursday
9.00am to 5.00pm, Friday
Out of hours 01424 850 333
Special Offer
Business Cover Offer Stamp

Take out business cover with us and receive a £20 gift card*

Call us now on 0333 2121 280 quoting ONLINE20 for an immediate business cover quote

Find Out More