Just fill in your details below and we’ll contact you as soon as we can.
An intelligent alternative to Bookshop Insurance
The Retail Mutual is dedicated to providing a specialist alternative to traditional insurance for the independent retail community. Run by retailers for retailers, we exist to help give you peace of mind and are passionate about protecting the independent retail businesses on our high streets.
Searching For Bookshop Insurance?
The Retail Mutual is an established business cover provider offering an alternative to traditional bookshop insurance. Our story dates back to 1999 when we were first established to provide business cover to news and magazine retailers. In 2017 we began a new chapter, drawing on nearly two decades of experience and expanding to cover an even wider range of independent retailers including bookshop owners.
When looking for bookshop insurance it is important to consider the different options available and select the best solutions to meet your needs. We believe in listening to your needs, talking through your options and tailoring the perfect business cover to match.
Whether you need stock and contents cover for your books and shopfittings, liability cover to protect you in the event of an accident in your store, or buildings cover to protect your premises, The Retail Mutual is here to help.
What types of bookshops do we cover?
- Individual bookshops
- Small bookseller chains and multiple units
- Secondhand bookshops
- Comics and collectables
- Bookshops with cafes
- Start-ups and established stores
Cover Types For Booksellers
- The Retail Mutual offers a range of options for retailers searching for bookshop insurance or mutual cover.
- Buildings cover – if you own your bookshop premises, you will need to protect them against risks such as flood or fire damage. You may also wish to include cover for your fixtures and fittings i.e. shelving and display cabinets
- Fixed glass cover – The Retail Mutual includes fixed glass cover as standard for all retailers taking out buildings cover for their shops
- Public liability cover – public liability cover protects you against damage caused to your customers or their property, or loss of the same
- Contents cover – whether you specialise in secondhand books or the latest thrillers, your stock is one of your most valuable assets. Contents cover will protect it against theft as well as events such as fire and water damage
- Business interruption cover – this helps to keep your business afloat in the event of an incident affecting your bookshop. It may cover loss of profits, staff wages and even interim payments to tide you over until your claim is fully settled
- Employer’s liability cover – this is a legal requirement for any business employing staff, even if it is on a part-time or volunteer basis. It protects you against claims brought by staff members as a result of injury or damage suffered in the workplace
The Retail Mutual Cover Benefits Include
- No admin fees or cancellation fees
- Fast-and-easy claims service
- Up to £500k Business Interruption cover
- Public Liability cover up to £5 million
- Buildings cover up to £5 million
- Stock and contents cover
- Money and personal accident cover
- Flexible limits to suit your needs
- Accidental Damage and Fixed Glass cover as standard
- Interest-free payment plans
- Dedicated UK-based call centre
- Up to £10 million Employer’s Liability cover