We offer an alternative to business insurance for bookshops. Just fill in your details below and we’ll contact you for a quote.
An Intelligent Alternative To Bookshop Insurance
What does bookshop insurance offer?
Whether you’re a niche, specialist bookstore, an independent second-hand bookshop or part of a larger chain, every bookshop needs effective cover. Book lovers frequent your store regularly, so it’s important you find a way to protect them and your precious stock. Bookshop insurance protects your business, customers, employees and property, so your busy shop can keep its doors open worry-free.
An alternative to bookshop insurance
The Retail Mutual is an established business cover provider offering an alternative to bookshop insurance. Our story dates back to 1999 when we were first established to provide business cover to news and magazine retailers. In 2017 we began a new chapter, drawing on nearly two decades of experience and expanding to cover an even wider range of independent retailers including bookshop owners.
When looking for bookshop insurance it is important to consider the different options available and select the best solutions to meet your needs. We believe in listening to your needs, talking through your options and tailoring the perfect business cover to match. Whether you need stock and contents cover for your books and shop fittings, liability cover to protect you in the event of an accident in your store, or buildings cover to protect your premises, The Retail Mutual is here to help.
Whether you’re a bustling city branch or a specialist store with a small but loyal following, it’s likely that you want to protect your store and everything that’s inside. Taking out the appropriate bookshop insurance or equivalent can help you manage these risks. An incident such as a flood could completely destroy your book collection, not to mention your shelving, furniture and other contents inside your property. And with customers browsing your store frequently, trips, slips or other injuries can happen, and they may choose to make a claim. The Retail Mutual offers a multitude of cover options as an alternative to bookshop insurance that can safeguard you in these circumstances.
What bookshop cover do you need?
The Retail Mutual offers a wide range of cover options for your bookshop. Here are some examples of what we offer:
- Stock and contents cover – Stock and contents cover compensates you for the repair or damage of your stock and equipment. From the bookshelves you use and the comfy furnishings where customers relax to the books themselves, these are all essential in running your business.
- Public liability cover – In the event that a customer suffers illness or injury in your shop, the customer may choose to bring a claim. Whether you are liable or not, the legal costs can be significant. Your bookshop welcomes customers daily, so having this cover in place is vital. Our Public Liability Cover offers up to £5 million should a customer make a claim for compensation.
- Buildings cover – If you own your bookshop premises, you may wish to take out buildings cover. This type of cover provides you with financial assistance should your property become damaged. This includes your walls, ceilings, windows and more. The costs can mount up fast, especially if you’ve been a victim of criminal damage or a weather incident such as flooding. You may also choose to cover fixtures and fittings such as signage, counters and display units, for example. The Retail Mutual offers up to £5 million of cover.
- Employers’ liability cover – When they are working in your bookshop, you are responsible for your employees’ safety. Unless your employees are close family members it’s a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance in place for both their protection and your own. Our employers’ liability cover is backed by an insurance policy to meet your legal obligations and can offer you up to £10 million in financial protection should an employee make a claim against you.
- Business interruption cover – If an incident occurs that damages your bookshop, business interruption cover helps to keep your business afloat while you get things back up and running. For example, if you experience property damage, you’ll need time to make repairs. We offer up to £500,000 as standard.
Benefits for bookshops
- We don’t charge admin or cancellation fees
- We provide flexible cover to suit the needs of individual businesses
- Our payment plans are interest-free
- We operate a UK-based call centre to provide simple and efficient service
- We offer accidental damage and fixed glass cover with buildings cover
What makes us different?
We are a mutual, owned by our Members an operated for their benefit. Our talented team is experienced within the retail industry and as a company, we understand the challenges involved with running an independent retail business. That’s why we take the time to understand each business and present you with the best cover options to suit your needs. And in the unfortunate event that you need to make a claim, our professional and experienced claims handlers are here to support you throughout every step of the process with the aim that it is as seamless and hassle-free as possible.
What else do we offer?
We offer a wide range of business cover options for brick and mortar stores throughout the retailing industry, not just bookshop cover – our alternative to traditional bookshop insurance.
Whether you are looking for bookshop insurance, cafe insurance, butchers insurance or florist insurance why not check out what The Retail Mutual has to offer with our tailored business cover options. Looking for something else? Why not browse our product range for more information on cover to suit your business, or to find out more about our other products and services for independent retailers and service providers. Interested in taking out cover? Fill in our online quote form or call us on 0333 2121 280 today to discuss how we can help with an alternative to bookshop insurance.
What our Members say
When I arranged my Business Cover with The Retail Mutual, the team were fantastic with a friendly, informative and professional service. Thank you especially to Laz and Gary for your assistance, I couldn’t have asked for more.Laura FisherBasingstoke
Many thanks to the team who dealt with my claim so quickly and efficiently, it was greatly appreciated.Mr McHughHungerford
Just wanted to say thank you for the very helpful and informative service I received when taking out my cover with The Retail Mutual.Ms JenkinsStockbridge