Skip to main content

Looking for Newsagent Insurance?

We offer an alternative to business insurance for newsagents. Just fill in your details below and we’ll contact you for a quote.

MM slash DD slash YYYY

What Does Insurance for Newsagents Offer?

As a local newsagent, you come to rely on the local community for your income, stocking last-minute buys, impulse purchases and life’s essentials for locals to enjoy. However, keeping your doors open through the day and often into the night isn’t without risk. You may wish to take out newsagents’ insurance to minimise this risk and protect your community and your business.

An Alternative to Newsagents Insurance

At The Retail Mutual, we understand that your business is constantly evolving to meet the needs of your customers. We also know that when you are looking for newsagents’ insurance for your paper shop, our flexible alternative to traditional newsagents’ insurance must meet your requirements. That’s why we believe in taking a consultative approach to quoting for your business cover, offering an alternative to newsagents’ insurance for independent retailers on the high street. By listening to your needs, we can tailor the ideal cover to match.

When running a newsagent, customers frequently enter and leave your store. If a customer has an accident whilst shopping in your newsagent, they may decide to make a claim. This can have huge financial implications on your business, and whether you’re at fault or not, legal costs can mount up fast. That’s why many newsagents opt for newsagents’ insurance or a similar protection plan to help you cover these costs.

Whatever your business, it’s important that you have the right cover in place. Local shops are prime targets for ram raids and other types of violent crime that can cause significant damage to your premises, so it’s important that you have a flexible protection plan in place that is suitable for your type of business and will safeguard you in these circumstances. Theft and shoplifting are also common, and we understand how difficult it can be to lose your hard-earned assets. The Retail Mutual offers an alternative to traditional newsagents’ insurance that provides you with plenty of options to keep your business safe.

Get in touch to discuss your retail cover options and requirements by calling 0333 2121 280 or click here to start your quote.

Get a Quote

What Newsagents’ Cover do you need?

The Retail Mutual offers a wide range of cover options for your newsagents’. Here are some examples of what we offer:

  • Stock and Contents Cover – This is one of the most important cover types for your business. Stock and Contents Cover can compensate you for loss or damage to the items in your shop. From drinks, newspapers and refrigerated produce through to the fridges themselves, these items can all be protected.
  • Buildings Cover – If you own your newsagents’ premises, Buildings Cover can provide you with financial assistance should your physical building become damaged. This includes your walls, floor, ceilings, roofs, windows and more. The costs can be particularly high in instances of flooding and criminal damage, and Buildings Cover can help cover these costs. You may also prefer to add cover for fixtures and fittings (e.g. shelving and display units). The Retail Mutual offer up to £5 million cover.
  • Public Liability Cover – Public Liability Cover is one of the most vital cover types for your newsagents. In the event that a customer suffers illness or injury in your newsagents’, such as a slip, trip or fall, the customer may choose to make a claim against you. Our Public Liability Cover offers up to £5 million of cover should a customer claim for compensation.
  • Employers’ Liability Cover – Whilst employees are at work, you are responsible for their safety. Employers’ Liability Cover helps protect both you and your employees should they become ill or injured at your premises. Regardless of whether your staff are part-time, full-time, permanent or temporary, it is likely that having Employers’ Liability Cover is a legal requirement. The Retail Mutual offer up to £10 million of protection.
  • Business Interruption Cover – If an incident occurs that damages your newsagents’ like a flood, fire or theft, Business Interruption Cover helps keep your business afloat until it is back up and running. For example, if you experience property damage, you’ll need time and money to make repairs, but it can also help with payments such as staff wages and overhead costs. We offer up to £500k as standard.

To discuss the best cover options for your newsagents, call us today on 0333 2121 280 or complete a quote request here

Benefits for Newsagents

  • We don’t charge admin or cancellation fees
  • We provide flexible cover to suit the needs of individual businesses
  • Our payment plans are interest-free
  • We operate a UK-based call centre to provide simple and efficient service
  • We offer accidental damage and fixed glass cover as standard

What Makes us Different?

We understand how tough the retail industry can be, and we’re committed to seeing you succeed. We have over 20 years’ experience of providing cover to independent news retailers, and as such are well-equipped to inform you of all the options available for your newsagents’.

We are owned by and operate on behalf of our Members, so you can rest assured that our alternative to traditional newsagents’ insurance has been made with you in mind. And if you do need to make a claim, our experienced claims handlers will aim to make the claims experience as quick and hassle-free as possible.

What Else do we Offer?

Looking for something else other than newsagents’ insurance? We support thousands of retailers across the UK’s high streets, offering alternatives to hairdresser insurance, cafe insurance, takeaway insurance, butchers’ insurance and more. For more information about what we do, simply browse our business cover pages. Become a Member today by filling in our online quote form or call us on 0333 2121 280 to discuss how our alternative to traditional newsagents’ insurance can benefit your business.

What our Members Say

Best service provider for all newsagents

Mr NaikMalden

We would definitely recommend the Mutual. We were given loss of earnings on three occasions when we asked, which kept the business solvent. Being closed for six weeks over the Christmas period, which is our peak trading time, could have been a financial disaster but the interim payments were a godsend.

Mr BailliePerth

My store was the target of a ram raid theft which caused thousands of pounds worth of damage. Fortunately, I had comprehensive cover in place with The Retail Mutual and was able to claim for stock and contents, as well as all the damage to the fixtures and shopfront.

Mr PatelBanstead

Business Cover

Specialist business cover exclusively for retailers

See More

Liability Cover

Protecting your customers, employees and the public

See More

Home Cover

Because there’s more to life than work

See More

Landlord Cover

Protection for residential landlords

See More


Find your ideal home loan at a competitive price

See More

Term Life Insurance

Protecting your home and family

See More

Critical Illness Insurance

Peace of mind when it matters

See More

Health Cash Plan

See More

Access Surgery Health Cover

See More

Click here to start your online quote

Opening times

Customer Service and General Enquiries

Customer Service - 0333 2121 006
9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday - Friday
Closed Weekends and Bank Holidays

Claims Team

Claims - 0333 2121 008
9.00am to 5.30pm, Monday - Thursday
9.00am to 5.00pm, Friday
Out of hours - 01424 850 333

Special Offer
Business Cover Offer Stamp

Take out business cover with us and receive a £20 gift card*

Call us now on 0333 2121 280 quoting ONLINE20 for an immediate business cover quote

Find Out More